On Sat, Dec 15, 2018 at 01:17:59AM -0800, John Smiley wrote:
> On Saturday, December 15, 2018 at 1:09:59 AM UTC-8, John Smiley wrote:
> > I'm interested in what and in what order, upgrades should be applied
> > starting from a base 4.0 install. I've tried several times and gotten
> > jammed up each time. I've also tried starting with 4.0.1-rc1, but had
> > problems with that out of the box where sys-whonix would die right away.
> > 4.0 at least didn't die until I tried upgrading.
> >
> > There are a lot of upgrades to be applied: firefox and whonix being the top
> > two.  I've tried both upgrade orders (firefox then whonix as well as whonix
> > then firefox).  I also usually include a qubues-dom0-update.  I also
> > typically like to go with fresh template installs rather than upgrades,
> > although I've tried both and still ran into issues.
> >
> > Is there a tried and true path?
>
> Would some hardware details help?
> Gigabyte X299 Aorus Gaming 3 mobo
> All firmware and BIOS at latest releases
> Intel Core i7-7820X CPU
> 32GB RAM
> 2 x NVMe 512GB drives (another Linux, usually Ubuntu 18.x installed on one of
> these, leaving one free for Qubes)
> 1 x SSD 512GB drive (Windows 10 installed here)
> TPM 2.0 hardware-based module
> 1 x 4K display
> 1 x 3K display
> 1 x Nvidia 1080 Ti (I built this rig for gaming and then they stopped making
> good PC games - at least for my generation - I think I've aged out of all
> gaming demographics)
>
> I have to believe that my problems with 4.0.1-rc are somehow related to my
> hardware being a bit unusual for a Qubes box.  It can't be as broken for
> everyone as it is for me.

If you have a working 4.0 you can upgrade to 4.0.1 by enabling the
testing repositories and installing the packages from there. But remember
this is currently a testing release - it is NOT "the latest recommended build".
If you want that, stay with 4.0 and install updates from the current
Qubes repository.

If you do want to test 4.0.1rc1, then enable the testing repositories in
dom0, update package lists and install latest packages.
If you are installing fresh templates remember to also enable Qubes testing
repositories in the templates and upgrade them also, to avoid friction
between the 4.0 packages in the templates and the 4.0.1 in dom0.
Normal distro updates can just be applied.

It isn't clear to me in what way 4.0.1 is broken for you. You've
reported one issue about Whonix - it should be clear that there are a
number of issues with Whonix in 4.0 and in 4.0.1. If you encounter a
problem using Whonix make sure that it doesn't apply in the Debian
templates, and report it as a Whonix specific issue, or use this mailing
list for help.

I don't think here's anything in your hardware that strikes me as off,
although you may find issues with the Nvidia and 4k - see on this list
for other user's experiences. Allocating more memory to the individual
qubes seems to help with external displays.