Tomáš Vondra:
Hi,

I'm still struggling with the suspend issue, unfortunately, and I'm kinda
stuck so I'd appreciate some ideas what to try.

Everything else seems to be working, but during suspend the laptop gets
stuck (black screen, but I can hear the fans still spinning). And then it
does not wake up, of couse.

I've tried installing new kernel, as described on
https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/software-update-dom0/ and I've even switched
to qubes-dom0-current-testing, but neither of that helped :-(

I'm now on kernel 5.2.16, which is newer than what the Fedora/Ubuntu
installs used (and suspend works fine with them), so there has to be
something else, specific to qubes. But I have no idea what, and I'm not
sure how to debug suspend.

Any ideas?

(I've been trying to build Qubes 4.1 as described on
https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/qubes-iso-building/, but I keep running into
various issues with that too, so I haven't been able to actually test it.)

thanks

I have the exact same suspend/resume problem on an Inspiron 5975, and another user here recently had the same issue with a different laptop. So it's pretty common I guess.

Qubes is stuck on F25 right now, and the hardware is too new for the software. Same as you, I had it working under F30 with an older kernel, but not under Qubes (F25) with a newer kernel, so it appears that maybe userland has something to do with it too, not just the kernel.

I haven't been able to find any general remedy for this. I remember reading somewhere that upgrading dom0 to F30 is more or less impossible. You might be able to narrow down the userland components and upgrade them individually, but I have no idea how to go about that. If you find anything out, please let me know!

There is a pre-release 4.1 iso available. https://openqa.qubes-os.org/tests/3021 - this is a kind of old link so newer builds may be available. I could not get it to install on my machine so I couldn't test suspend on it, but it might work for you.