On Friday, October 4, 2019 at 4:36:57 PM UTC+2, Claudia wrote:

> Tomáš Vondra:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm still struggling with the suspend issue, unfortunately, and I'm
> kinda
> > stuck so I'd appreciate some ideas what to try.
> >
> > Everything else seems to be working, but during suspend the laptop gets
> > stuck (black screen, but I can hear the fans still spinning). And then
> it
> > does not wake up, of couse.
> >
> > I've tried installing new kernel, as described on
> > https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/software-update-dom0/ and I've even
> switched
> > to qubes-dom0-current-testing, but neither of that helped :-(
> >
> > I'm now on kernel 5.2.16, which is newer than what the Fedora/Ubuntu
> > installs used (and suspend works fine with them), so there has to be
> > something else, specific to qubes. But I have no idea what, and I'm not
> > sure how to debug suspend.
> >
> > Any ideas?
> >
> > (I've been trying to build Qubes 4.1 as described on
> > https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/qubes-iso-building/, but I keep running
> into
> > various issues with that too, so I haven't been able to actually test
> it.)
> >
> > thanks
> >

> I have the exact same suspend/resume problem on an Inspiron 5975, and
> another user here recently had the same issue with a different laptop.
> So it's pretty common I guess.

OK. Good to know I'm not the only one affected by this.

> Qubes is stuck on F25 right now, and the hardware is too new for the
> software. Same as you, I had it working under F30 with an older kernel,
> but not under Qubes (F25) with a newer kernel, so it appears that maybe
> userland has something to do with it too, not just the kernel.

Yeah, that's my impression as well.

> I haven't been able to find any general remedy for this. I remember
> reading somewhere that upgrading dom0 to F30 is more or less impossible.
> You might be able to narrow down the userland components and upgrade
> them individually, but I have no idea how to go about that. If you find
> anything out, please let me know!

Not sure, but I suspect running a F25 with some random subset of packages
randomly updated to current version is going to be a major pita, or perhaps
even impossible (because of dependencies with other packages). I'd much
probably prefer running a pre-release version of Qubes 4.1 than such a
hybrid.

> There is a pre-release 4.1 iso available.
> https://openqa.qubes-os.org/tests/3021 - this is a kind of old link so
> newer builds may be available. I could not get it to install on my
> machine so I couldn't test suspend on it, but it might work for you.

Thanks for the link. I gave it a try and there seems to be some improvement
compared - the installer now works out of the box, without having to tweak
it like I had to with Qubes 4.0. Unfortunately, the suspend/resume issue is
still there, although maybe it actually gets to sleep this time (but still
does not wake up).

I've tried looking for a newer build (the one you posted is from July, so a
couple of months ol), but I haven't found anything. I've been trying to
build ISO locally over the past two weeks, but I keep running into issues
so I haven't been successful in that.

thanks