> When you say it remains blank, do you mean the screen is totally powered
> off, or do you mean the backlight comes on but it just displays a black
> screen?

I had a powered off screen when Xen panics, the screen not even blinked
(--> doesn't reach the kernel or the GPU driver, the systems halts before
that.

> Going from memory here, but I *think* in F29 (without Xen) the backlight
> would come on, but the screen was just blank, and I could make the caps
> lock light come on and hear sounds from the OS, and ctrl-alt-delete would
> cause it to reboot after 60 seconds as expected. Possibly a graphics driver
> problem.

This seems to me a GPU driver issue too. In this case the logs (kernel,
hypervisor, xorg) are available in the next
boot for further checking.

In Qubes R4.1 (F29-based) with Xen, when I resume I can hear the fans come
> on, but that's it. The backlight remains powered off, the caps lock light
> won't come on, sound doesn't resume playing, and I have to hold the power
> button to force reboot. Sounds to me like it could be a Xen panic, although
> I believe this is the same as what happened in F25, if memory serves.
>
> Also, I don't know what a debug card is, but my BIOS has an option called
> "USB Debugging" which is enabled. Do you know anything about that, or how
> to make use of it? I'm not looking to get into any serial/UART type stuff,
> but USB might be an option, depending on what it does, what you need to
> have, and how difficult it is.

Yes, this is what I experienced, when Xen panics. To be able to see what
really happens in this case, you'd need a serial console (builtin or an
add-on PCI debug card providing that serial/UART port) and configure xen to
send the console output to that given serial port. With XEN cmd
"loglvl=all" you'd see how far XEN gets after resume.
The BIOS option "USB Debugging" for the 5575 could mean, that one of your
USB ports can be used for debugging (as a serial port using USB2,ehci
mode), but IMHO this would also require special cables and another PC to
use as a debug console...