I recently did a personal study that covered at least some of these issues.
Ppl can also contribute to the study which is now public and in the form of
a wiki.

On Monday, 8 June 2020 19:00:17 UTC+1, tomas.s...@gmail.com wrote:

> ... I know firmware viruses are rare, but still better safe than sorry. I
> am looking for safe OS to do online banking from. If i use live usb of
> QUBES, does that protect me against all firmware viruses ? ...

My opinion is that it probably doesn't when you suspect you may already
have firmware viruses. If you know you are clean (including that the USB
memory stick is also clean from firmware malware [because USB memory sticks
can also have firmware malware
<https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/End-user_Computer_Security/Main_content/Digital_storage#General_security_risks_in_digital_storage>]),

then you'll probably be safe if you only use Qubes.

A live DVD of Qubes is likely more safe than a live USB memory stick of
Qubes—see here
<https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/End-user_Computer_Security/Main_content/Digital_storage#Rewritable_media_vs_optical_ROM_discs>
.

For users not literate with the technical aspects of computing, who want to
do online banking securely and safely, I would advise purchasing a brand
new Chromebook using random physical selection at a physical computer store
<https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/End-user_Computer_Security/Main_content/Broad_security_principles#User_randomly_selecting_unit_from_off_physical_shelves>.

Chromebooks appear to be quite secure in comparison to many other kinds of
devices generally labelled as computers (I don't include smartphones in
this comparison, and I don't know so much about which smartphone one should
choose for online banking).

If you are more technically minded, and want to do online banking, it still
might be the case that other "better" solutions are inappropriate for you,
in the sense that they are all "overkill" solutions. Banks often refund
monies stolen through fraud... However, if you are more technically minded,
it probably is a good idea to look through the aforementioned study (the
contents page can be accessed here
<https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/End-user_Computer_Security/Preliminaries>).

Some info on the security of BIOS/UEFI firmware (from the study ) is
documented here
<https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/End-user_Computer_Security/Main_content/Software_based#Security_of_BIOS/UEFI_firmware>
.

> Also i can't disable all my disks in BIOS, could that be problem ? .... So
> my main OS can't compromise Qubes. ...

Would recommend physical disconnection of unused disks when dual-booting.
As I think mentioned elsewhere in these mailing lists, you can do that by
just taking out the power cable of the respective disks. See here
<https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/End-user_Computer_Security/Main_content/Software_based#Qubes_OS_4.0.3_side-by-side_with_other_operating_systems>

for more information.

> ... I wanted to dedicate my old pc for online banking, but Qubes doesn't
> work there.

Might be a good idea to do such dedication. It can be good from a security
perspective because of the isolation of the device from other systems you
use. You could consider using the freely-available CloudReady OS
<http://www.neverware.com/freedownload>,  which is something like ChromeOS
(used on Chromebooks) for non-Chromebook devices. I've successfully
installed CloudReady on an old Toshiba laptop.

Kind regards,

Mark Fernandes