On 5/26/21 11:20 PM, William Oliver wrote:
On Wed, 2021-05-26 at 15:53 +0200, Ulrich Windl wrote:

Office 365 _without_ MS-Windows? Are you kidding? Maybe Microsoft
provides it for other platforms, but _why_ would one use the
Microsoft
product? (I'm using OpenOffice/LibreOffice for years, and it's OK for
me)

I use LibreOffice or Calligra for almost everything except...
  PowerPoint presentations that I have to give to someone else.  I
frequently speak at meetings where I have to provide a PPTX file of my
presentation weeks in advance, and I *have* to use whatever audiovisual
setup they have (often dictated by the venue).  I have found that
presentations made in LibreOffice format incorrectly in PowerPoint for
at least one slide over 80% of the time.  It gets worse when there are
videos and animations.

OK, just let me add some more thoughts:
I think both Microsoft Office and OpenOffice/Libre Office have some advantages _and_ deficits over the other. I had been using Word for Windows (with Windows 3.11) shortly after it came out. At that time OpenOffice was still named StarOffice. Around that time Microsoft wanted more than 500€ for a license, completely unaffordable for one who writes maybe 15 letters a year.

One day I had spend almost the whole day updating a larger document (still less than 100 pages). Before saving I thought I'll do hyphenation and spell-checking as final touch-up. Eventually, when I wanted to save, there was a message like "there's not enough memory to complete the task". At that moment I was tempted to throw the whole computer out of the window...

With StarOffice/OpenOffice/LibreOffice I never had such a bad experience (also using it for at least 20 years now).

Also Microsoft often claims they'll protect your investment. Well, I have WinWord documents from 1993 that a current Word cannot read! So I would need one (or more) older versions to load and re-save those files.

(Oh well, I also have files created with Ventura Publisher; the PostScript output at that time was considered to be too large to archive. If I had known what will happen, I would have saved those...)

Maybe for contrast: I also have a demo CD with Adobe Acrobat 1.0 (I think from 1994). Those PDF files can still be loaded and displayed correctly.

Normally, I create the presentation in LibreOffice and then take it to
a place that runs Windows at work and fix the presentation there.  I
retired from my normal job recently, so I can't do that any more, even
though I still do presentations.  At the moment, my church is letting
me use their computers for this, but I don't know that it will go on
forever.

I agree that Impress could be much more user-friendly.

billo