Danny Mayer wrote:

> If you want to send a reply back to a client how would you specify the
> outgoing local interface address? Even using sendmsg() you cannot do
> that if you want to use, for example, the wildcard socket. Don't forget
> this is UDP so it's connectionless and is a separate datagram each time.
> There are very few choices here. With TCP there is an established
> connection and you can reply on that connection. This is not the case here.

That's my point. The socket interface does not provide a way to
do something that is required to use the NTP protocol. The fact that
the sockets API has existed for so long without that ability is
my evidence that the requirement should not have been so lightly
made. If the requirement was really so universal (as Dave suggested)
as to not even need to be mentioned in the spec and just assumed,
then I contend that the sockets API would have a way to easily
meet that requirement. Which as you pointed out, it does not.

--
blu

"You've added a new disk. Do you want to replace your current
drive, protect your data from a drive failure or expand your
storage capacity?" - Disk management as it should be.