David L. Mills wrote:
> Brian,
>
> You say "until recently"; NTP has been intimate with Unix since the
> early 1980s. Is this recent?

What I am saying here is that the ability to easily accomplish
the necessary address bindings have been added on some operating
systems to the sockets protocol, not that NTP was recently added.

> Second and more importantly, if the address is not used to bind a
> request to a reply, what else can replace it?

Port number and transaction id's for example. That's what are used
in the current RPC protocol, for instance. Not IP address.

> Why do you have 300 sockets bound to an interface with a stateless
> protocol? This appears to be a fundamental violation of the stateless
> paradigm.

Not sure what you mean here. The 300 sockets are bound to 300
different UDP ports by some large number of different processes.
All of them bound to the wildcard address except NTP.

Brian Utterback