In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Martin Burnicki  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>AFAIK ntpd has to manage the binding to interfaces at least if autokey is
>enabled since the signature hash also includes the IP address of the
>interface via which a packet is sent.

At least some operating systems (don't know about Linux) allow this to
be controlled using a control message.  For example, from the FreeBSD
6.3 ip(4) manual page:

     The source address to be used for outgoing UDP datagrams on a socket that
     is not bound to a specific IP address can be specified as ancillary data
     with a type code of IP_SENDSRCADDR.  The msg_control field in the msghdr
     structure should point to a buffer that contains a cmsghdr structure fol-
     lowed by the IP address.  The cmsghdr fields should have the following
     values:

     cmsg_len = sizeof(struct in_addr)
     cmsg_level = IPPROTO_IP
     cmsg_type = IP_SENDSRCADDR

     For convenience, IP_SENDSRCADDR is defined to have the same value as
     IP_RECVDSTADDR, so the IP_RECVDSTADDR control message from recvmsg(2) can
     be used directly as a control message for sendmsg(2).

The IPV6_PKTINFO message is used for analogous functions in IPv6.

-GAWollman
--
Garrett A. Wollman   | The real tragedy of human existence is not that we are
[EMAIL PROTECTED]| nasty by nature, but that a cruel structural asymmetry