"jack" <> wrote in message
news:edbf7025-8578-48f5-b714-3a06b5c3c...@c34g2000yqn.googlegroups.com...
> David,
>
> I totally agree with you. My main application runs on Windows for
> various reasons (cheap hardware for one) and had been using PCI IRIG
> board to keep time. I was not merely looking for a solution to keep
> time. I was looking for a millisecond solution that my application can
> access on a Windows box.
>
> PS: I experimented with falling/rising edge of the 1PPS and now the
> difference between NTP and my IRIG board is a few milliseconds.
>
> Jack

Glad you resolved the leading/trailing edge issue, Jack.  Now we need a
way to tune out those remaining few microseconds accurately!

It sounds as if your application - like some of mine - would benefit if
NTP were able to provide a new function where you could call it on your
local PC to get the time, rather than having to use a call via a network
packet, with all those overheads.  The function would be really simple,
taking no arguments:

  ntpGetTime

and returning a 64-bit timestamp value (as per
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2030.txt).

Would some kind soul like Dave Hart care to provide a small DLL which
could do this - perhaps even as part of his serial kernel-mode PPS support
DLL?

Perhaps there is some fundamental point I'm missing which makes this
difficult, though?