Evandro Menezes wrote:
> On Dec 4, 2:10 pm, "Richard B. Gilbert" <rgilber...@comcast.net>
> wrote:
>> unruh wrote:
>>
>>> Please, do not use a Windows box as your main server. get a cheap ( your
>>> local flea market should have one for $50) computer, install linux or
>>> freebsd, purely for running ntp on it, and use it as your server.
>> Elderly computers can frequently be found at curbside.  Often, there is
>> nothing wrong with them, they are just old and/or slow.  NTP does not
>> require a lot of computing power!!  If these old wrecks will boot some
>> form of Windows or Linux they are well suited to not very demanding jobs
>> like running NTPD.
>
> No engineer or analyst or consultant worth its salt would suggest a
> banged up PC to perform any role in a project.
>
> Such suggestion may be fine for one's own garage project, but not
> anywhere else.

If you have money to waste on appearances, fine!  Were I running a
business, I would be pleased by someone with the initiative to recycle
an otherwise useless machine instead of buying a new one.  Just open the
case, vacuum out the dust bunnies and go!

If I were setting something up for a customer, I would recommend using
an older machine.  If the customer wanted to pay for a new machine I
would be happy to spend his money.

My NTP server is an old, old, Sun Ultra 10 workstation (I'm guessing)
ca. 1998.  It gets the job done.  If there were any 486/33 processors
left, one of those fifteen or twenty year old machines could do a very
good job of running NTPD.