Niki Kovacs wrote:
I experimented for a few hours with a local "sandbox" network, and here's the configuration I finally found out.

Server (192.168.1.2 = bernadette):

--8<---- /etc/ntp.conf ----------------

driftfile /var/lib/ntp/drift
logfile /var/log/ntp.log

server 0.fr.pool.ntp.org
server 1.fr.pool.ntp.org
server 2.fr.pool.ntp.org
server 3.fr.pool.ntp.org

restrict default kod nomodify notrap nopeer
restrict 127.0.0.1
restrict 192.168.1.0 mask 255.255.255.0

--8<-----------------------------------

Client (192.168.1.3 = raymonde):

--8<---- /etc/ntp.conf ----------------

driftfile /var/lib/ntp/drift
logfile /var/log/ntp.log

server bernadette

restrict default ignore
restrict 127.0.0.1
restrict bernadette

If I understand correctly, the whole setup works OK as soon as ntpq -p shows me a list of servers, and at least one of them has a little * star in front of the line (which can take a few minutes to appear).

I'm open for suggestions if there's something wrong with my setup.

Cheers from the sunny South of France,

Niki

Be prepared to wait as long as ten or twelve hours to get really close synchronization. NTP was never intended for systems running only eight hours a day. You can be "close" in thirty minutes or less but it takes many hours to get both close and stable. It also helps to run your server in a controlled environment; temperature changes will affect your clock.