"Richard B. Gilbert" <rgilber...@comcast.net> wrote in message news:opidnyn0gy9xksjrnz2dnuvz_usdn...@giganews.com...
[]
If your definition of "close" is used, you hardly need NTP. My PC running Windows/XP SP3 is within a few milliseconds running nothing more than W32TIME.

What accuracy is required wasn't specified by the OP. W32Time unfortunately cannot be managed and monitored as well as NTP, and the version in XP doesn't offer server fallback (IIRC).

I've had a Sun Ultra 10 Workstation running Solaris keep time within fifty microseconds or better using a GPS timing receiver and NTPD.

.. and my FreeBSD system - PC Pixie - is within a few microseconds:

 http://www.satsignal.eu/mrtg/pixie_ntp.html

(the apparent drift in the Monthly and Yearly graphs is due to errors accumulating in MRTG, I understand).