"Niki Kovacs" <mic...@mouse.com> wrote in message news:4c567a3d$0$24091$426a7...@news.free.fr...
[]
1) I'm trying to impress my girlfriend by typing loads of unnecessary restrict statements in my ntp.conf.

2) I'm desperately trying to get rid of a compulsive obsessional disorder, and I thought this USENET group would be helpful.

3) I'm new to NTP, and after having read through a few tutorials, I'm vaguely thinking about security (like : limiting access to local services), so I thought I asked on this list.

Choose your answer :o)

Cheers from the rainy South of France,

Niki

Niki,

(1) is a great goal!  I think you fail on (2).

For (3), on the LAN here, I've never used any security restriction on NTP, not on any of my portable PCs used on public networks. I may have been protected, though by being behind NAT routers, and I've never set up any port forwarding rules for UDP packets on port 123. On the other hand, I don't have any untrustworthy users on that LAN either.