On 2010-11-03, Stephen Vaughan <stephen.vaug...@blackboard.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We're having an issue with an NTPD whereby it's defaulting (or whatever the
> correct terminology is) to the LOCAL clock, this is occurring when one of our
> servers loses connectivity. We have 4 server's setup and the local clock is
> also configured:

Get rid of the local clock.
There is no reason for it.

> server  127.127.1.0     # local clock
> fudge   127.127.1.0 stratum 10
>
> ntpq -p output:
>
>      remote           refid      st t when poll reach   delay   offset  jitter
>  hostname .INIT.          16 u    - 1024    0    0.000    0.000   0.000
>  hostname .INIT.          16 u    - 1024    0    0.000    0.000   0.000
>  hostname .INIT.          16 u    - 1024    0    0.000    0.000   0.000
>  hostname.INIT.          16 u    - 1024    0    0.000    0.000   0.000
> *LOCAL(0)        .LOCL.          10 l    9   64  377    0.000    0.000   0.001

Sinced it cannot get at any of the other servers, it needs to use Local
and the only one it can contact-- totally uselessly, but it c an contact
it.

> The issue with this is that once it defaults to the LOCAL, it doesn't sync
> with an external source again, until we manually restart ntpd. I'm sure this
> is something simple, but I'm hoping someone can assist.

No, your external sources are not reachable. Fix that problem. Firewall,
network, whatever.

> Thanks,
> Stephen
>
> This email and any attachments may contain confidential and proprietary
> information of Blackboard that is for the sole use of the intended recipient.
> If you are not the intended recipient, disclosure, copying, re-distribution
> or other use of any of this information is strictly prohibited. Please
> immediately notify the sender and delete this transmission if you received
> this email in error.

              • ... David Woolley
              • ... Richard B. Gilbert
              • ... David Woolley
              • ... Chuck Swiger
              • ... Stephen Vaughan
          • ... David J Taylor
            • ... Stephen Vaughan
              • ... David J Taylor
              • ... Steve Kostecke
              • ... Harlan Stenn
  • Re: [ntp:quest... unruh
  • Re: [ntp:quest... Stephen Vaughan
    • Re: [ntp:... David J Taylor
      • Re: [... Stephen Vaughan
        • R... E-Mail Sent to this address will be added to the BlackLists
          • ... Stephen Vaughan
    • Re: [ntp:... E-Mail Sent to this address will be added to the BlackLists