Richard B. Gilbert wrote:

I get a new address, potentially, every time I boot.

Properly configured, DHCP will give you back your old address, although ntpd will also restart in that case.

NAT is a workround for a limited address space; it's a bolt on for getting round limited address space, although even then, it is the router and external address that should change, not the address of the workstation.

The original intent of IP was to provide a stable, global, address space, relatively independent of local delivery considerations.

If IPv6 ever gets off the ground, that may change.