Correct.

Cheers,
Stephen

-----Original Message-----
From: questions-bounces+stephen.vaughan=blackboard....@lists.ntp.org
[mailto:questions-bounces+stephen.vaughan=blackboard....@lists.ntp.org] On
Behalf Of unruh
Sent: Tuesday, November 09, 2010 1:43 AM
To: questions@lists.ntp.org
Subject: Re: [ntp:questions] Local clock - sync issue

On 2010-11-08, David Woolley <da...@ex.djwhome.demon.invalid> wrote:
> Stephen Vaughan wrote:
>> Connectivity is fine to the ntp servers, if I restart ntpd it starts syncing
>> with an external clock immediately. This article could be the fix:
>>
>> http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/feature/15345.html
>
> This advises some very anti-social practice, namely using burst on
> public servers.  This is likely to get you banned from those servers.
> Also, it doesn't explain why you have zero reachability.
>
> Getting the detailed diagnostics, by using rv on the association
> numbers, may give a better clue.
>
> I do have some concern that a local clock could result in all the others
> being false tickers, because the error band on the local clock is too
> small, but ntpd is supposed to discriminate against the local clock.  In
> any case, false tickers still have a non-zero reachability.

If I recall correctly his problem was that he had 4 outside sources plus
the local time. Then something disconnected him from those outside
sources for a long time ( hours) After that was fixed, the system never
again went back to those outside sources-- gave zero reachability even
after they were reconnected, as if ntpd gave up on them after it could
not reach them for a while.

This email and any attachments may contain confidential and proprietary
information of Blackboard that is for the sole use of the intended recipient.
If you are not the intended recipient, disclosure, copying, re-distribution or
other use of any of this information is strictly prohibited. Please immediately
notify the sender and delete this transmission if you received this email in
error.