David L. Mills wrote:

I'm confused about your explanation, especially the "default configuration". The definitive explanation of synchronization distance,

"default configuration" was talking about w32time. w32time can end up polling about once a week, and therefore reporting a root dispersion that is well over a second. I think, if it has ever been synchronised, it will continue to report an increasing root dispersion and stratum 2, even if it never gets any more updates.

Other aspects of the default configuration include the symmetric active feature and a stratum that is 2, regardless of the source stratum.