This is a test from libevent, because it needs to know if the select()
function will yield in threads.  I say that as if I know what I'm
talking about, but it's "close enough".

We can run a test and figure out whether or not select() will yield, but
we cannot run a test in a cross-compile environment, so in that case we
expect the person running the build to know how the target behaves.

Personally, I think that specific autoconf macro,

 sntp/libevent/m4/openldap-thread-check.m4

is not well-written and it seems to have some problems.  But it's also
683 lines of autoconf macro, and it's not indented using a style I find
easy to read, so I haven't been able to clean it up yet.