The independent contrasts algebra for what Joe is talking about can be found in
these papers:

Garland, T., Jr., P. E. Midford, and A. R. Ives. 1999. An introduction to
phylogenetically based statistical methods, with a new method for confidence
intervals on ancestral values. American Zoologist 39:374-388.

Garland, T., Jr., and A. R. Ives. 2000. Using the past to predict the present:
Confidence intervals for regression equations in phylogenetic comparative
methods. American Naturalist 155:346-364.

Cheers,
Ted

Theodore Garland, Jr.
Professor
Department of Biology
University of California, Riverside
Riverside, CA 92521
Office Phone:  (951) 827-3524
Facsimile:  (951) 827-4286 = Dept. office (not confidential)
Email:  tgarl...@ucr.edu
http://www.biology.ucr.edu/people/faculty/Garland.html

Experimental Evolution: Concepts, Methods, and Applications of Selection
Experiments
Edited by Theodore Garland, Jr. and Michael R. Rose
http://www.ucpress.edu/book.php?isbn=9780520261808
(PDFs of chapters are available from me or from the individual authors)