Dear Alyson.

There is no general rule about this; however, my suggestion would be to use log-scaled values. This is because on a log-scale proportional changes in the trait are equal, independent of the magnitude of the trait. That is, a change of 1% in mass of whale is the same as a change in 1% in mass of a mouse. If your analysis includes both mice and whales, then on the original scale mice may appear to be changing very little in mass, while whales change a great deal - even if (relative to their sizes) both groups are changing just as much. On the other hand, if your analysis is of only whales or only mice it will make relatively little difference whether you use log-scaled data or the original values.

I hope this is of some help. All the best, Liam

Liam J. Revell, Associate Professor of Biology
University of Massachusetts Boston
web: http://faculty.umb.edu/liam.revell/