Alexis King wrote on 09/01/2015 06:58 PM:
First, from Neil:
My super-strongly preferred engineering notion: backward-compatibility of a
package refers to the *documented* behavior of the package, not to actual
behavior.

These are both incredibly flawed. They might work fine in a tiny little
academic environment, but in the real world, this is almost outlandish for a
few reasons:

My intent was to emphasize the documentation first. I allude in subsequent sentences to exceptions and such, but I want people to start by thinking about documented behavior&interfaces as the basis for reusing modules. Because I think not everyone is.

When people start using the term "social", I fear some might be imagining some magical open-office pair-programming free-love marijuana-smoking drum-circle up-voting utopia, in which all problems are solved most effectively through free-spirited communication, not by employing engineering skill and smart collaboration practices.

BTW, I think the "tiny little academic environment" charge is off. I suspect I have as much varied industry experience as almost anyone on this list. I'm speaking of real industry dynamics, and of models that I think are viable for adoption by some real industry developers. I have existence proofs.

Perhaps I’m wrong and it’s not as big of a problem as I think.

I agree that there is work to be done, at least for my needs. At one point, in earlier development of the package system, I was harsh and rude about some concerns, which I regret. My goal is to work within/atop the accepted system.

Neil V.