Antonio,

Thanks for the report! Your test case has resisted all my attempts at
simplification, which made it a bit tricky to work with. :)

I think I've found the cause of the problem, though. It looks like the
type to static contract translation's cache causes it to generate open
static contract terms, which the optimizer chokes on, which causes the
error you're seeing.

Specifically, the following static contract (for `bar`) is (I think) the
problem:

#<->/sc #<or/sc #<rec/sc ((n*9 #<struct/sc #<or/sc n*9 #<rec/sc ((n*10
#<struct/sc #<flat/sc String>>)) n*10>>>)) n*9>
                #<rec/sc ((n*10 #<struct/sc #<flat/sc String>>)) n*10>>
        #<rec/sc ((n*24 #<struct/sc #<or/sc n*11 #<rec/sc ((n*12 #<struct/sc
#<flat/sc String>>)) n*12>>>)) n*24>>

Note the `n*11` on the last line, which is not bound by any `rec/sc`
(and is the particular identifier the optimizer chokes on).

The bit with `n*11` is present in the previous (very similar) static
contract (for `foo`), where it is in fact bound. Generating the SC for
`foo` puts that term in the cache, which causes SC generation for `bar`
to reuse it. (And that explains why the error occurred only when both
bindings were provided.)

Disabling the SC cache (in the source, there is no user-visible option)
makes the problem go away, as expected, but is not a real solution.

IIUC, the fix would be to not put open SC terms in the SC cache. It
looks like there's already some checking for that in place, but it
doesn't seem to be working, as this example shows. I'll look into this.

Asumu: You added this caching. Any thoughts on that?

Vincent