I agree that in the TOC of the docs it would probably be better to separate
third party packages, maybe simply as a dedicated section or add
'(contributed package)' next to it.

On 30 Jan 2017 9:13 pm, "Matthew Butterick" <m...@mbtype.com> wrote:

On Jan 30, 2017, at 11:42 AM, Leif Andersen <l...@leifandersen.net> wrote:

I don't think that the solution is to make core packages first class, and
community ones second class. That looses the spirit of what we're going for
here. But maybe we could have in our documentation a way for users to
select what packages they want to show up in search results. That way all
packages are equal here, and a person who wants to, say, only use core
packages, can get that.

To be fair, not all core packages are superior to their community variants.

For instance, `parser-tools` is core, yet has been called "strange and
klunky" compared to "modern Racket". [1] Whereas the `ragg` package is a
much nicer — dare I say more Rackety — interface to `parser-tools`.

So if Racket's policy is to let the boundary between core & community
remain porous, then it seems consistent to let these packages compete on an
even footing.

An alternative approach which probably takes less effort is to just have
two documentation pages. One for core packages, and one for community
packages. Obviously we should still make 3rd party packages feel like first
class build in stuff, but if we just host them at a different URL, that
might be enough to keep things clear.

Recently we added a Racket logo to the upper right of the public doc pages.
We could do something where this logo changed depending on whether the
package belonged to core or community or whatever. Then we wouldn't need to
actually cleave the docs into two websites (which IMO is
counterproductive).

Later we can get to Yelp-style star reviews: "Meh, I've experienced better
mutable vectors."

[1] https://groups.google.com/d/msg/racket-dev/pVcE3hdsfbM/U8dBBcPfCAAJ