Rather than splitting "core packages" from "community packages", what if we
used the package ring system? [1] We could establish a way for the Racket
community to bless packages with "ring zero" status, then provide a --catalog
argument to Scribble to lookup ring information in when deciding how to style
package documentation. The docs would remain unified, we'd have a centralized
place to curate packages, and there's no artificial barrier that prevents
user-contributed packages from living alongside main-distribution packages.

[1] http://docs.racket-lang.org/pkg/Future_Plans.html?q=ring