jmpage2;483421 Wrote:
> It sounds as though the radio will lose presets if network connectivity
> is interrupted under certain conditions.
>
> Which is definitely a problem/bug.  The radio should store presets
> locally and the condition of mysb.com or a local SB server should not
> affect them.

I think the opposite change is needed; I think Radio should be *less*
intelligent. AFAICT, the preset logic is something like

Code:
--------------------
    Try to keep track of which preset buttons have been assigned

  When a preset button is pressed briefly
  If there's nothing assigned to that button, do nothing
  Else
  Turn Radio on
  Tell the server (SBS or MySB) which button was pressed
  SBS/MySB tells Radio what to tune, etc.
--------------------

So if Radio forgets a preset has been assigned, it does nothing. If the
problem you're seeing is due to Radio somehow forgetting which buttons
have been assigned, then pushing even more logic to Radio won't help;
you need to address the underlying cause of forgetfulness (and if you
fixed that, the current model should work fine).

I think it would be safer to mimic the slim/dumb model of older gear,
e.g.

Code:
--------------------
    Do NOT try to keep track of which preset buttons have been assigned

  When a preset button is pressed briefly
  Tell the server (SBS or MySB) which button was pressed
  SBS/MySB tells Radio to turn on, what to tune, etc.
--------------------

Right now there are two possible causes for forgotten presets: 1)
SBS/MySB sync messes up what the server thinks the presets should be and
2) Radio forgets that a preset has been assigned. Making Radio dumber
would take the second failure out of the picture. And it would result in
simpler code -- a bunch of Radio/SqueezePlay code could disappear, and
the SBS/MySB side would need only a single line of code added ("if (!
$client->power() )  { $client->execute(['power','1']); }").

Next time this happens to you, try turning Radio "off" with a quick tap
of the power button, and then press the preset. If Radio turns on, then
the problem is in SBS/MySB. If Radio stays powered off, then somehow it
has forgotten, and the bug is more likely in Radio's firmware (though
not necessarily; it's possible that SBS/MySB could be giving it bad info
somehow).

--
peterw

http://www.tux.org/~peterw/