You have to be connected to the internet to play an -alarm sound-? If
that is true, that's an absolutely ridiculous concept. As if my cell
phone had to download the ring tone from the carrier everytime when
someone calls me. Even playing a sound from the local server is not much
better. As I understand it, audio is transferred via HTTP which has no
built-in error detection. For example, if the network has a hiccup while
the server is sending data, you might end up with an audio file with a
size of 0 bytes.

The alarm sound should be downloaded in advance and stored in the
radio's memory when you set the alarm, everything else just has to fail
sooner or later.

(Of course that would only be applicable to regular alarm sounds, not
to radio streams. But then, when you set a radio alarm on a conventional
alarm clock and the station suffers an outage, you won't hear anything
either.)

--
usch