radikon,

Have you tried contacting WD about accessing the power management
settings on the HD itself?  Seems that is where the problem likely
resides.

As for using a laptop with SB players, something just can't be correct
with your setup.  Like you I use a laptop to run SBS, remove laptop for
biz trips, when back home my SB players connect right to that instance
of SBS without issue.  I've never had to reinstall SBS just to get
players connected to SBS.  That said, there are two differences in your
setup vs my setup which may be contributing factors to your issues:
-  I don't own a Duet, you do
-  I have only one router, you have multiple routers

--
toby10