IMHO.

The internet media player part works fine, and is a very clever and
enjoyable device.

The alarm clearly has problems, due entirely to the design, which
relies on networks and servers to provide a simple alarm function.

I think that a lot of the venting here is simply frustration on the
part of those familiar with good software design, who actually respect
the device, but are frustrated knowing how much better the device could
be with a fix to the alarm design. (Having managed software engineers, I
know how crazy poor design can make them!)

The obvious, and I suspect not difficult, fix is to move the full alarm
functionality to the radio itself, so it works even if the  network or
server are unavailable.  If this were done, the worst case would be the
unavailability of a specific music or radio alarm due to network or
server issues, resulting is a simple alarm tune or tone played from the
radio.

--
davenva