bklaas wrote:

> Amongst existing European users, simple internet radio was the single
> most important feature, particularly the BBC. In the U.S., by contrast,
> it was by far Pandora. Local music use was harder to understand, but
> knowing that its use was shrinking was enough to doom it to its current
> crippled fate. Nevertheless, the data from Europe (by sales, quite a bit
> more important than the U.S. for squeezebox) showed that deferring
> sign-in/registration during setup was a very reasonable stance to take.

To be fair, with regard to the Squeezebox Radio in particular, it really
lends itself more to simple radio use rather than dedicated music
listening (incl. music streaming services).

But I don't get why they had to ditch the Squeezebox system and go for a
new setup with a reduced feature set (yet based on the Squeezebox
technology but at the same time, incompatible with it).

The SB Radio works great as an internet radio using a standard
Squeezebox server or the online mysqueezebox.com even if you don't want
to do any of the other things that are possible with the Squeezebox
technology .. switching to the UE system and dropping Squeezebox just
makes no sense whatsoever.