Hm, but the Smart Radio does exactly what you propose. You do NOT have
to register it to play radio. Plus it gets a lot easier because you
don't have to enter any registration data on the device itself. The
"out-of-the-box" experience with the Smart Radio is not bad. What's bad
is what follows then.

That said, I don't fully agree. I frequently have issues with Apps for
services that require initial registration and then later ask you to
sign in for the account you have created because it inevitably means
that at some unpleasant time (when you actually want to use the thing
instead of playing around with it at setup) you have to dig up your user
credentials to to the actual registration.
I have even thought about re-considering my move to not require
MySqueezebox.com registration in iPeng due to this.