My take is our beloved devices are now super old devices and have
compatibility issues with newer routers.

You could try disabling WiFi6 (if you do not need it, e.g. if you really
do not have any WiFi6 capable client).....that may resolve the
problem......like it did for my XT8 pair. Unfortunately, for me, the
whole point of upgrading my router was to get WiFi 6. I do have two
gamer dudes in the house, who have very capable PCs

Another thing is you could try is if by mistake or otherwise, you have
WPA3/WPA2 enabled (instead of just WPA2).

Another thing....separate the bands..........although that did not help
me.

YMMV........good luck!

If nothing works, and you HAVE to keep the new routers............just
setup a wifi network for just these two SB radios........using the old
router.....daisy chained after the new router..............that was my
backup plan.