mherger wrote:
> ...Their latest dev firmware would break compatibility with the Radio.
> They have been able to identify one cause for the failure ...
> They believe that the problem is related to 11ax (wifi6?) and WLAN
> beacon size. Now they're asking whether the beacon size was limited in
> firmware or similar. ...

This sounds like progress: the AVM/Fritz!Box vendor identifying one
cause for failure as related to 11ax WLAN beacon size. Two questions: 1)
how did they come to believe this, and 2) could the 11ax beacon size, if
too large, be reduced in their software as a compatibility option?

This "toxic beacon" theory fits with my experiences investigating the
radio's failure. It explains how the radio, even when solidly connected
to a compatible access point, fails occasionally when exposed to much
weaker signals from neighbor's newer 2019-2020+ systems. I suspect that
the very frequent scanning performed by the radio is picking up these
signals, and, once in a while, crashing something. The effect is that
the radio loses receive sensitivity, misses packets from the access
point, and eventually disconnects. I do not understand how a too large
beacon would affect receiver sensitivity, other than overwriting an AGC
parameter in the chip's WLAN radio receiver.

And it happens "rarely" considering the radio is so frequently scanning,
which was evidently increased in a patch to the driver source code,
perhaps to improve performance when moving the radio between rooms or
access points.

Wouldn't it be great if all the other vendors were similarly engaged in
this issue? I suppose a first step would be to identify and list the
"offending" access points (e.g., wireless routers) make, model (and
ideally firmware version). These could be researched for configuration
options that might eliminate the interference, and the device owners
perhaps be enticed to make these changes. The vendors could be contacted
and they might investigate or provide support. Posting these user and
vendor contact notes and results could be helpful.

Regarding the radio's firmware, I have been involved in investigating
the "wireless connectivity loss" issue implementing a troubleshooting
logging (and mitigation) script wlanpoke, then 'instrumented my most
often failing radio'
(https://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?111663-Community-Build-Radio-Firmware&p=990627&viewfull=1#post990627).
An early wifi-6 router was obtained and 'wifi-6 implicated'
(https://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?111663-Community-Build-Radio-Firmware&p=1018853&viewfull=1#post1018853).
Of note is the finding that "... it seems that the wifi-6 is the
culprit, and [heavy] wifi-6 traffic makes it much, much worse." Might
this imply that not just the beacon is involved?

It should be noted that wifi-6 (or something) also disrupts other cheap
IOT devices (e.g., cameras), making them unreliable for continuous
monitoring. However, these devices reset themselves without
intervention. On the other hand, very cheap devices like the ESP32
modules are not affected.

Regarding the software, the host (radio) software runs the wlan script,
which calls the /lib/atheros/loadAR6000l.sh script. The script loads the
kernel driver ar6000.ko, uses bmiloader to set some values, then calls
the eeprom.AR6002 app to load calData_ar6102_15dBm.bin. Next, bmiloader
loads athwlan.bin and then data.patch.hw2_0.bin, and loadAR6000l.sh
returns to the wlan script to configure the system using wmiconfig, then
launches the wpa_supplicant and wpa_cli processes. The linux host
software is marked open source, but that source has not been made
available.

Another version of the Atheros chip OS driver was modified to 'partially
run'
(https://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?111663-Community-Build-Radio-Firmware&p=1020189&viewfull=1#post1020189),
not crash, on the radio. After realizing the driver's role in simply
passing packets up and down, attention turned to the chip firmware as a
means of preventing a failure, rather than more quickly recovering from
one.

The AR6002 hardware seems quite capable. Its firmware is a combination
of the chip's Tensilica Xtensa core software athwlan.bin plus the patch
and configuration files. Updating this firmware is likely to completely
fix the current issue. Regrettably, both the chip documentation and
firmware source are proprietary. The effort to reverse engineer the
binary firmware files without chip documentation seemed to be quite
daunting. Using another version of firmware might work, but has not been
tried.