> What cost is it that you're talking about mainly?  I thought the output of
> it was pretty good..

Mainly the size, as per Lachie's comments.

Being the front-end pedant I am, I also have some issues with the
formatting of the output.

The specificity is also something that shits me generally. The more
specific your CSS, the more the browser has to work to get your page
rendered correctly. Sass's indentation based inheritance model tends
to make it easier to end up with overly specific CSS. That's something
you could work around, I'm sure, but my tendency would be to keep
indenting and end with unnecessarily long descendant selectors.

I, too, am now intrigued by Less. I might try it on a project and see
what I think.