I think it is a good idea.

Unless you frequently carry a lot of weight or ride in a mountainous
area, a well considered 1x8*, is more than most riders ever need.  You
get the added benefit of being able to afford a better crank and have
less wires and maintenance to worry about.

*Or even 1x6, quite frankly.  My camper has a triple crank and 6 in
the back.  For all but the very steepest inclines my chain stays on
the middle 46.  The outer 50 may as well have the teeth ground off so
it appears more like the chain guard it is for all practical
purposes.  I have never used it.