on 1/9/09 7:12 PM, Bill Connell at bconn...@gmail.com wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 9, 2009 at 8:57 PM, Doug Peterson <dougpn...@cox.net> wrote:
>>
>> When we were in Carlsbad last Sunday didn't someone mention Grant talking
>> about "yet" another wheel size, 600 something-ish?
>
> Grant wrote in a Reader a couple of years back about creating a 603mm
> BSD rim size designed mostly to allow 700c racing bikes to take a
> fatter tire. The idea is that you gain some clearance, but for frames
> that were designed for short reach brakes, you can still reach the
> rims with longer caliper brakes. Often a 700c->650b conversion will
> need to use very long-reach brakes, which get pretty flexy and low on
> stopping power.

I knew there was a reason I scanned that...
http://www.cyclofiend.com/rbw/archive01.html#603

- Jim

--
Jim Edgar
cyclofi...@earthlink.net

Cyclofiend Bicycle Photo Galleries - http://www.cyclofiend.com
Current Classics - Cross Bikes
Singlespeed - Working Bikes

"Whatever you do will be insignificant, but it is very important that you do
it."
    Mahatma Gandhi