From: rbw-owners-bunch@googlegroups.com
[mailto:rbw-owners-bu...@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of John Ferguson
Sent: Saturday, January 10, 2009 9:35 PM
To: RBW Owners Bunch
Subject: [RBW] Questions about derailleurs/chainwheels/cassettes

Hi all,

First time on here, and it's my first time building a bike from the
frame up. I'm hoping someone here can help, as I'm a complete
neophyte. I've been riding an older (cheap) French bike for the past
10 years and finally took the plunge and bought a Rivendell Saluki.
Frame only, of course--I could have taken the easy way out and gotten
a completed bike, but since I'm going to be traveling long distances
on this bike, I figured I needed to build it myself so I know how
everything goes together.

I'm in the process of acquiring components; I think I have most
everything figured out, except for the following:

I have a Simplex SLJ5500 rear derailleur and an SLJ front derailleur
from my old bike. However, I can't figure out with a high degree of
confidence what an appropriate range would be for the chainwheels and
the cassette/freewheel. Unfortunately I sold my old bike without
counting teeth.

I'm planning on taking very long rides, sometimes multi-day, and I'm
hoping to enter some formal randonneur events this year.

Anyone have advice for me? Anything would be appreciated; I've spent
many hours trying to figure this out.

Thanks!

John