Hey John,

Welcome to the list and kudos to building and maintaining your own
bike!  I can't help you with the gear ranges appropriate to the
derailleurs you have, but I do agree with others here suggesting going
with modern Shimano stuff (Deore/LX/XT rear, Sora Front - for
example).  For the kind of riding you are describing, I'd suggest the
Riv-approved, uber affordable Sugino XD triple crank (24/36/48) and a
11-32 or 11-34 cassette.  I've used a similar setup on the Atlantis
for all terrain touring, daily errands/commuting, and brevet distance
rides.  Works great.  Substituting larger chainrings is easy and
cheap.  And, if after riding a while, you find you don't use the
granny ring or prefer closer spacing in the rear or whatever, you
haven't invested loads in your drivetrain and it is relatively easy to
change things out.

enjoy the build and ride!
-Jay
Asheville, NC