On Fri, May 1, 2009 at 11:54 AM, Dave Craig <dcr...@prescott.edu> wrote:
> Shellacked cotton tape is beautiful. One can do fancy harlequin weaves
> with it. It wears like iron. Why shouldn't everyone use it? I would
> love to. There are two reasons for me. Sometimes I like to ride
> without gloves and I have big hands. Riding with cotton tape is like
> riding on bare bars - no padding and a small diameter. I just don't
> find cotton taped bars all that comfortable. All this said, I am
> switching my Atlantis off touring and town duty now that I have a
> Bombadil. Perhaps, I'll consider committing to wearing gloves and
> using cloth tape.

I have big hands too, and cloth taped bars are too skinny for me. I do
like the feel of cloth though, so i wrap a layer of rubber tape (or
split innertube) on the bar first to fatten it up, then a layer of
cloth on top. There's a picture of my Redwood with this treatment
here:
http://wjc.fidean.net/log/wp-content/uploads/2007/06/redwood-diamondtape.jpg

I don't have the tape shellacked though, and the black has faded quite
a bit since that picture. I don't like the feel of slickly shellacked
tape, but i might put just a coat or two on to keep the tape in better
shape.

--
Bill Connell
St. Paul, MN