Sorry to hear of your encounter, Aaron, and I hope it didn't spoil
your day.  One would hope that all cyclists could get along, but we're
all just people, and it seems like 1% of the population walks (or
rides) around with a perpetually poopy diaper and there's nothing
anybody can do to change that.  But the sheer number of cyclists on
the road has made us seem more fractured as a group and way less
friendly to one another these days.

I still vividly recall riding in the 1970's as a teenager on the SF
peninsula, and it seemed like back then that cyclists would always
smile and wave at each other when they passed each other on country
roads (if you can remember Cool Gear, Theresa Jackson jerseys, and
Detto Pietro shoes with nail-on cleats, you'll probably know the era
I'm talking about).  If you were on the side of the road with a flat,
EVERY passing rider would ask "You OK?  Got what you need to fix
that?"

Now that there are SO many more people on those same roads, the same
unwritten social rules that keep people from making eye contact with
others when walking downtown streets seem to apply....

-br