On Sat, 2009-08-29 at 03:50 -0700, JoelMatthews wrote:
> > IMO, for a bike that's intended to be a modern club sport mount, DT
> > shifters would be superfluous.
>
> As my last post on the topic, I will concede the club angle most
> likely is what I am missing here.  Bikes are my primary form of
> transportation,

You may be sure, a bike like this is not primarily about transportation.

>  I ride them to work, around town, for fun and on
> vacation.  I use components that work for me.  I imagine clubs with
> all the group dynamics and peer pressure make d/t a hard sell.

It's not group dynamics and peer pressure in a sociological sense.

Most of the target audience has probably never used downtube shifters,
and even those who have done would probably find them inappropriate for
use in a pace line or peleton where everybody else is using brifters
because of the different way you shift -- less frequently, more surging
and falling behind, possibly even a little wobbling when you shift.  I
think most of the target audience believes downtube shifters are simply
unsafe in a pace line [where everyone else has brifters].

>   Too
> bad, as d/t shifters are an elegant simple solution.

I like the way they look, too, but then never really worked for me in
the past.  I have indexed downtube levers on my latest, a Kogswell P/R
set up as a porteur, and they're good in that application.  They, along
with the inverse brake levers, let me use almost all of the handlebar,
and that goes a long way towards mitigating the hand pain issues I have
with city bikes and upright bars.

But on a road bike?  Never.  For that, I like bar end shifters and too
bad about the cables; function trumnps elegance.