Jim -

I have to say that I'm not really following your point. Certainly, it's got
to be frustrating to purchase something that doesn't do what you hoped it
would.  But, I'm not sure how you get from a 15 year old archived web page
to losing trust in Rivendell.  Second to that, tire profiles have changed a
bit in the ensuing time frame.  More round now, more larger sizes now.  And
every rim makes a tire sit a bit differently.

With a couple of google stabs, I found several ref's to folks selling Heron
roads (not sure on the model years), describing tire clearances that ran
from 28 to 38.  Enough that it would have caused concern enough to confirm
with the seller.

Heron was spun off from Rivendell long ago.  Different models, different
owner, a different company.

Sorry to hear you had a bad outcome, but I don't think it's particularly
appropriate to draw a far-reaching conclusion about trust from those data
points.

- Jim