Hi Bo,

I have VO fenders on my Hillborne as well (possibly the same one's you
have, not round or hammered!) and the front is quiet when riding even over
bumps.  now the biggest change i did with mine, i installed them with 3
points of attachment to the bike, the fender stays, the under-fork-crown,
and at the front of my fender to the front rack.  the front-rack attachment
made the biggest difference because the vo are pretty long in front of the
fork.

just to understand your problem, did the draw-bolt for the stays break off?
 or did the bolt holding it to the underside of the fork break?