Loose hardware lets all kind of trouble begin, and make odd noises. I'm
using some hammered Honjos on my Rambouillet using some Sheldon nuts for
fastening via a mix of provided and fabricated brackets to create a solid,
quiet installation. I'm currently running Conti Gatorskin "32"s (which net
at 29mm by my caliper). Not my slop bike, but no stranger from rain and
riding in the city and countryside.

I have aluminum VO Zeppelin (Not hammered, not smooth; fluted) fenders on
my Disc Trucker commuter and it has been my slop, salt, snow, ice and rain
washed debris bike and off roader. Everything is still snug and rattle
free.

I apply red Loctite to the critical threaded fasteners, keeps things solid
and secure. The SKS are certainly more prepared for a front fender wad-up
with the safety clips but they are also sort of floppy themselves and
subject to heat changes that can be frustrating if it moves things enough
to let some tire brush when climbing out of saddle. Pretty much why I went
metal and took responsibility for any incident that may come with the front
one.

https://plus.google.com/photos/109160474815391208206/albums/5910070344477760609?authkey=CPibubXxl-b3ag

Andy Cheatham
Pittsburgh