Bo, here's another data point.  I rode my Rambouillet with Honjo hammered
fenders from the Fall of '05 till mid summer of '13 when the rear fender
broke at the seat stay bridge.  They never rattled until just before the
break - or maybe actually between the crack and the break.  They were
installed by a very good and experienced mechanic.

I live on a dirt road in a state with notoriously bad roads so the Ram saw
its share of rough surfaces.  In contrast I installed Honjo fenders on an
Ebisu, which I used as a commuter on 30 miles of mostly rough surface every
day and broke 2 fender in 4 years.  After that I went back to the original
mechanic; installed Bertoud steel fenders, and never had a problem again.
 Proper installation is critical (and not beyond us DIY folks) but  if you
are doing a lot of rough riding and not concerned about the extra weight,
steel is the way to go.

My wife broke an SKS plastic fender when a pine cone kicked up between the
rear tire and fender.  That installation required a wide gap at the chain
stay because her '84 Sequoia has vertical drop outs.  I think the break
away feature of plastic fenders is crucial in that kind of application, but
with a properly installed metal fender on vertical drop outs there should
be no more than 10 or 15 mm between the tire and fender, which offers
little space for sticks or pine cones.

My wife's new Betty (the discontinued demo) came with the cream Longboards
which I thought looked pretty nice so I decided to put them on the Ram in
place of the broken Honjo.  It turned out I don't really like the color
combination of the blue frame and cream fenders; I think the metal looked
much nicer.

I put plastic fenders on the travel tandem because I thought it would be
easier to fit in the suitcase.  In reality the tandem is much more often
partially disassembled and put into the back of our Prius.  The result has
been that the fenders are constantly out of whack;  I'll probably replace
them when time & money get aligned.

Michael