Maybe I got soft living in rural Australia for those seven years, but when
I moved back to LA in February, I was confident that the venerable
Kryptonite U-lock and cable combo would suffice for security in a highly
visible public place.

Until I came back to the bike rack right outside of a busy grocery store no
more than 10 minutes later to find that I had one more lock than I started
with.

Some resourceful and obviously practiced would-be thief pulled the two
eyelets at the ends of my cable together and joined them with a storage
unit grade padlock. This effectively locked my front wheel to the frame,
rendering it unrideable. No doubt in the hope that I would leave it there
to regroup temporarily if not overnight, returning to find I was in the
market for a new (old) bike.

I hefted and lugged and rolled and cursed my bike for the two miles back
home. Plenty of time to meditate on my inner vigilante. An angle grinder
made short work of the padlock. I kept it like a war vet trophy.

Jeff Hagedorn
Los Angeles, CA USA