In the winter I use a pair of Montrail "Approach" shoes.  Rock
climbers use these to hike up to cliffs, before changing to climbing
shoes.  They are heavier and warmer than sneakers but lighter than
hiking shoes.  The sole is quite stiff and has a very shallow waffle
pattern.  Buy a size that will take a heavy Smartwool sock and your
good to go down to about 10.
Michael