> To be fair I think some folks who want a custom do NOT want the
> builder to put their name on it. They just want a very specific frame
> built and to have it.
>
> Not all products are about advertising. To be sure, if I ever have a
> custom frame built the  custom feature I will not bend on is that
> there be no names nor logos anywhere on the bike.
>
> I'm not paying someone to advertise for them. I'm paying them for
> their skill and time.

But Grant is pretty clear that he believes bikes should be a certain
way and those are the bikes he builds.

There are plenty of builders who will make bikes to customer's exact
specifications.  Sometimes this results in wonderful chemistry.  Other
times, the customer learns all to late the expensive limits of his/her
bike design skills.

I guess you could say that the Rivendell sticker on a bike is
advertising.  I expect Grant would say that and a label saying this is
what I believe a bike should be.