I would suggest you begin with a visit to a good podiatrist.  Find one with
good experience and a practice that doesn't focus on lots of surgery.

I have pain which I think is similar to yours, burning in the ball.  Some
years ago I had a cyst removed there which had caused me a great deal of
pain, but it has never fully recovered.  I switched from a surgery focused
podiatrist to one content with less invasive modalities and that has
helped.  In my case he looked at my foot and said, "Your problem is that
you're not fat enough."  I liked him right away, but unfortunately he was
only referring to my feet.  He gave me a script for a pain ointment (which
unwisely I didn't fill) and encouraged me to get good, cushioned sport
inserts, and to replace them regularly.  That has helped.  I have a follow
up appointment with him this month.

The second thing I do is vary the pedals I use.  On my Ram & tandem I use
Speedplay Frogs (I know clipless) and on the Saluki I use the Paul's Urban
pedal.  That gives me some variety of contact point.

For shoes, the worst combination ever has been a pair of minimalist
sneakers and the Pauls.  Now I stay with shoes that have relatively rigid
soles - Keen Austins & Keen Commuters, both of which can be used with or
without clips.  I also like the Keen Austins regular version for walking
around because that has also been a source of foot pain.  I suspect I am
paying the price for a career as a hospital chaplain who walked the halls
night & day.

Good luck with this.

Michael