KC,
I appreciate the opportunity to update my experience.  I went with the
Holywood platform
rack:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000QJC4AY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
At the time, REI was out of the one I wanted from them.  The basic set-up
of this rack holds two bikes, and I got the extension which expands
carrying capacity to 4 bikes.  I LOVE IT! (I don't usually gush over
products, but this is the best way I have used to transported my bikes on
the outside of a vehicle.)  I have mounted bikes on the roof and hung them
off of racks attached to the back of my car, and for me, this platform rack
is a winner.  A former reoccurring nightmare had me losing a load of bikes
on the Chesapeake Bay Bridge in peak summer traffic; I sleep peacefully
now, at least in regard to transporting bikes.

The rack attaches to a hitch purchased from and installed by Uhaul for
under $120.00 and in under 1 hour.  The rack attaches securely and there is
minimal sway and total peace of mind.  I appreciated not having to hoist
the bikes too high to get them on the rack, and they are held securely in
place.   Only one padded arm/hook touches the bike frame.  If you keep the
rack attached to the hitch without bikes, it will fold up out of the way.
 I do not scrape on my sloping driveway with 4 bikes on the back of a
Subaru Forester, though I do make my teenage sons wait to get in the car
until I am at the bottom of the driveway.

A few negatives, as it is not perfect: 1)The rack is often mounted on the
car in the summers and has developed a bit of surface rust. 2) the padded
arm, which is lowered onto the toptube of each bike to secure it, will
leave behind some black scuffing/residue on the paint (no nicks or chips in
the paint, however; a cloth between frame and arm would likely solve this).
 3) the rack is heavy and not something I would want to take on and off
several times a week.  4) It carries 4 bikes well with the attachment, but
the 3rd bike is a bit difficult to get on.  5) It is expensive.

I am going to get a hitch installed on my Mazda3 so that I can carry my
bike on this rack when I do not need to haul multiple bikes with the Subaru.

All the best,
Erl, who is happy not to be lifting bikes over his head onto the roof of
the car in Kensington, MD